Saturday, August 21, 2010

Wide eyed and Sleep deprived

No matter what, I cannot get a good night’s sleep if I drink the night before. It just doesn’t happen. I haven’t gotten a straight 8 hours sleep after a night of drinking since…well, my college years? It’s just a random in- and- out, toss and turn, twist and shout type of uncomfortable state of mind I get in. I can feel every step of the hangover settle in. The slight headache arises, my eyelids feel like sandpaper, the heart gets a little racy, sometimes skips a beat, sometimes moves up into my ear drum. And the thoughts, oh, it’s the thoughts are what really get me. As I teeter in between drunk and sober, conscious and subconscious, the thoughts are the biggest hindrance to my much needed beauty sleep. After lying awake since 3 a.m., listening to the soft lull of my husband’s snoring, I have finally decided to just get up, make a coffee and eat some donuts. The thoughts that keep me up are so ridiculous and random; I feel the need to share them. Here they are, in no particular order (I think that’s why our heads are round, so the thoughts can circulate easier):

“What should I all buy at Target today? Nico needs milk bones, can’t forget that. I must get some more Claritin-D. I should see if I can Google a coupon for that. Do I still have that Target coupon for $10 off? I bet it’s expired. I really want to go to Sephora, but I shouldn’t, I’ll just walk away buying shit I don’t need. But life is short, and make-up makes me happy. I’m going to go there. I should look at their website, wasn’t there a new liquid eye liner from that tattoo chic with the make-up line? Cat Von Dee or something? Didn’t she have a reality show? I wonder what happened with that. Must have gotten cancelled. Oh! I have to watch The Jersey Shore that I recorded, and The Real Housewives of D.C. I should go watch them. I wonder how much money they make. And of course, that isn’t good enough because then they have to go making jewelry, or starting a skincare line, or trying to become a singer, or writing a cook book. Books. I have a stack of 5 books I need to read. I have to finish the one I’m reading now first. Then which one should I read? (This thought went on for a good 15 minutes as I reviewed the details of every book in my head, trying to determine what kind of book I was in the mood for, mystery, humor, memoir?) I should just get up and go watch TV. Why the hell can’t I sleep? Am I still drunk? Maybe my body digests alcohol at a really messed of rate, and I actually become drunk as I lay in bed trying to sleep, so that’s why I’m awake with crazy thoughts spinning around. Does this mean I’m at my drunken prime at 6 a.m.? WTF. That would be weird. I wonder if there are any chocolate donuts left, or did Landon eat them all. I could really go for some bacon and onion fried won tons that we ate at The Bulldog. Those were the bomb. I want some. Now I’m hungry. What should I eat? I should make a carrot cake today. I’m in the mood for cream cheese frosting. I can’t believe I haven’t gone to the Farmers market!! I haven’t even had sweet corn and summers almost over! I want a big bouquet of flowers from there too. Hey, should I have gotten flowers yesterday for our anniversary? Hmmm…I’m excited to go to Bar La Grassa tonight. I must try that soft egg and lobster thing Ole talks about. I can’t wait to see “A Street Car named Desire” tonight. I’ll probably be so tired though with no sleep. Will I have time to nap today? Where the hell is the Advil? I thought it was on my nightstand. Ugh. I feel dehydrated and ill. That’s it I’m going to get up and have some donuts and go on facebook. Maybe then I’ll get tired…”

I thought all this typing would wear me out. It did not. I am still wired. Still awake. Still have a headache.

I’m off to google new Sephora products now….

No comments:

Post a Comment