Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday Nights: They're not what they used to be...

I remember there was a time when Friday meant either Happy Hour after work or drinking on the patio with my Stevie and hitting a few bars with friends, or going to dinner on a rooftop patio while sipping on wine and snacking on calamari as the sun glistened off the streets of uptown Minneapolis.

Well, that kind of Friday? NO LONGER EXISTS and damn, sometimes I miss it…

Not that I don’t still love Fridays, they’ve just changed a bit since having a child. I love my little Landon dearly, but sometimes this mommy needs a time out too. Tonight in particular made my heart miss the old Fridays a bit. After listening to my 3 year old scream at the top of his lungs because I wouldn’t obey his every command, I felt exhausted by 7 p.m. I finally gave in to his high pitched demand that he “WANTS TO GO TO THE STORE!!” (He loves Target, got that from my genes). I could no longer take the screaming and after trying to explain to him that “mommy has no money and so going there could be very dangerous and we really don’t need anything”, etc., the screams just got louder and louder. He didn’t care. He just wants to ride the cart and get one piece of candy! (stomp stomp)

Ok then. Off we went to Target to ride 20 laps around the store with an empty cart. First he HAD to push and I couldn’t touch the cart. Then he had to crawl underneath and direct me where to turn. Then he rode off the front while waving to everyone and saying “Look at me, I’m so funny!” I laughed and had a great time actually. The Target shopping cart is better than a merry-go-round to him. He sees going to the store as a treat. After realizing how silly it would look to leave with nothing, I decided to let him put some Mike and Ikes in the cart, and of course it didn’t stop there.

The problem with this fun little trip to the store is that I had to pass that damn ice cream freezer over and over. It was like all these flavors were yelling at me from behind the glass door to buy them. “Look at me! I’m on sale!” “Hey, I’m a new flavor!” “Pick me! Pick me!” Ugh….the agony. You know I had to buy some, then of course you have to get the cones and the topping and then you’ll want some chips after that…. Damn Target. I knew it would be dangerous going there with no money. Guilt isn’t so fun.

Five minutes after getting home the screaming returns,” I want juice!” I get it. “No! (Tears coming) I want milk!” I get it. “I want water!” More tears. Toddler is in a meltdown. Mommy is just plain confused. WTF is going on here? Breathe in breathe out breathe in breathe out.

So yes, I miss the days when Friday night was all mine, to do with it as I pleased. To make my own commands and skip off to where my little heart felt like going. I do wish that I could get a glimpse back, or relive a Friday night the way it used to be, just every once in awhile.

However, the yelling is a lot more tolerable with this big ass bowl of Heath ice cream in front of me, so cheers to that I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment