Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A little lesson in Vo-Cab-U-Lary

Say it like it’s meant to be spoken people….it drives me crazy hearing words continuously mispronounced on a daily basis. Here is a helpful little lesson in pro-nun-see-ay-shun. Wanna hear my top 10 lists of mispronounced words that drive me craaaazy? OK…here goes:

1.) MILK ( it’s not melk people, it’s milk, you know, like silk with an M?)

2.) ENVELOPE: EN, as in Engage and Entrust, so do not say this word as Onvelope please.

3.) MEASURE: There is no “Y” in this word, so do not say it like Maysure. UGH.

4.) ILLINOIS: The “S” is silent, no really, it is, google it.

5.) BUSINESS: Not Bidness.

6.) DIDN’T: Unless you’re trying to be comedic, don’t say it as di’int. Oh I don’t even know how to spell it! Di’nt? Diint? Dihint? Whatever, you know what I mean!

7.) PRESCRIPTION: Not Per-scription. PRE-scription. Don’t swap the R and the E!

8.) SUPPOSEDLY: Many say this as Supposably or supposevley—no no no that is not right!

9.) TAKE FOR GRANITE: The word you want to use is granted, say it with me, grant-ed. Taking something for a marbled countertop would not make sense now would it?

10.) ASK: This one drives me nuts more than anything! Everytime someone says “Aks” instead of ask, I want to hit them over the head with a hammer. It’s a 3 letter word. A-S-K…it doesn’t get much easier!

I hope I have helped you all in this little vocabulary lesson!

There will be more lists like this to come I’m sure….

1 comment:

  1. Mel- Apparently I am your first "follower". ;)

    You seem to to write like I do. (alone- on just paper, sadly)

    You put it out there, like I am afraid to do. So write it, publish all you can, hun. You are a brilliant woman who can speak for all of us "other brilliant women".

    Looking forward to all you have the guts to say... :)

    ReplyDelete