Sunday, July 18, 2010

The disection of the perfect quote…

Ever heard that cute little phrase that goes a lil’ something like “The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.” Touching, I know. May even bring a tear to an eye if spoken at the right moment. But after rereading this and thinking about it…um…yeah…it’s not entirely accurate.

The best my heart has ever felt, and it has felt pretty damn good, was usually a direct response from A) Either something I was looking at, or B) something I was touching. I’ll never forget the first time I saw Brad Pitt in Thelma & Louise and the way my heart sprouted wings and fluttered in circles around my chest, tickled the inside of my belly and floated down to the nether regions of, well, ya know. Oh and the time I put my bare feet in the blue water off the coast of Catalina Island while the fading glow of an orange sunset kissed my face and a light breeze drew circles in my long hair. Let’s just say my heart would never be the same.

So yes, I get that the heart is the core of all beauty in this world, but without something to visually stimulate that blood that lashes through our ventricles in that fired up thump we know as love or to feel, and even smell, the things that tickle our soul and warm our insides, the heart really can’t be given the power to feel. Joy, happiness, bliss...all those emotion fuel our heart, but the things that really kick it into over drive are usually the look of an eye looking back at you in just that right moment, or the feeling you get when you run your hands through your childs hair after they’ve fallen asleep in your arms.

Um, ok, so I just googled this quote and realized it’s from the beloved Helen Keller. Yes, she was blind and deaf, so it makes sense why her heart was so strong. She notes one of the most amazing points in her life was when her tudor Anne Sullivan led her to a water pump and spelled "W-A-T-E-R" into Helen's hand. It was electric! This feeling turned into a word. Helen then leaned down and tapped the ground; Anne spelled "E-A-R-T-H." That was the day Helen learned her first 30 words. I’m sure her chest was pumping with excitement, but that beautiful feeling in her heart was allowed to shine through because she “touched” the water and “felt” the earth resulting in the writing of letters in the palm of her hand. So the most beautiful things in the world “can” be touched, and are then “felt” with the heart. I rest my case.

I guess some quotes are dead on and some have little glimmers of truth. Like the “Good things come in small packages” quote. Cuz ya know that isn’t always the case...

No comments:

Post a Comment