Thursday, October 18, 2012

A little boy and his pumpkin head mommy








Being a Mom and a kid’s best friend at the same time can be a bit of a challenge. Hey, I can be both trust me and it works 99% of the time. Today was a little reminder though that I am indeed his “mother” and am supposed to be the mature one. The role model. The example of what one is supposed to act like...

Being that my little munch (I call him that yes) had no school today I was privileged to spend the day at home with him. Fabulous morning it was! Had breakfast, made up silly songs, baked muffins, watched Tom&Jerry, laughed laughed laughed. It was then time to head to Target as we needed more baking items as well as construction supplies to create this pumpkin art thing that he is to complete by Monday for his kindergarten project.

The little mister spotted the front row open parking spot and informed me to “put your hood on Mommy, it’s a bit chilly outside.” (Who’s the adult here?) He even grabbed the shopping cart and said I could be the traffic director and he’d obey my directions. So we did the go fast, go slow, go left, look out for that lady thing as we do and then he saw the Halloween section....

No biggie, we tried on masks, looked at spooky spiders, all that jazz. The little smartie pants even made this comment of which I was so proud: “Oh wow mommy look at all that candy. I bet that makes kids so crazy with all that sugar. That’s not very healthy is it Mommy? They should give out vegetables for trick or treating.” Haha. He never ever asks for candy and I love it. Ok so on to my story...

He then decided to jet off in a full on marathon sprint. Just randomly. Through the aisles up and down all over the store. Literally. I couldn’t find him at times and I sure as hell couldn’t catch him. I’d call out for him constantly. He would sneak a peek down an aisle and whoosh he’d be off dashing away at the speed of light. Giggling and smiling. It was cute at first but then it got tiresome. He was the damn road runner. At one point I saw him like 5 aisles down in the toilet paper aisle and his little head poked out and he said “Meep!Meep!” and I swear his legs spun in circles as he sped off. I was irritated and yet I could not stop laughing. His spirit just makes me happy and that zest he has for life is definitely something to be admired. I tried so hard not to show a smile, I even had to bury my face in my sleeve so he’d believe that I meant business when we caught eyes.

He finally stopped and I tried to act disappointed in him but it was so hard with his silly little face that I couldn’t even speak or I would have smiled and completely blown my obligatory scold. When we got back in the car and I felt like I could be serious I said how unacceptable his behavior was and that he needs to stick by me and listen better. He says “Don’t worry Mommy, you will never lose me cuz I’m a super fast runner and no one can ever catch me and you are the only mommy I’ll ever run back to. I’m just practicing for when I’m a super hero one day. You told me I gotta keep practicing if I wanna be the best at something right Mommy?” And then I laugh again.

Of course he said he was sorry and he wants to make his pumpkin look like his Mommy because I’m his best friend. What can I say? The kid has my heart in the palm of his hand. The pumpkin does kind of look like me besides the pin tattooed nose, not really sure what that’s all about....He even took my lipstick out of my purse and put on some “real lips.” Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment