Friday, October 21, 2011

Facebook page: Keep it solo people

Relationships are beautiful and love is fabulous as we all know. It’s sweet when a couple is really endearing towards each other and I’m not even that opposed to some occasional PDA, however, I kind of cringe a little every time I see a facebook page that consist of not 1, but 2 people. I mean really? I just don’t get it!

Couples share things of course. A bed. A home. Children perhaps. Kisses and hugs are shared daily I’m sure, but is it really necessary to share a facebook page? I think not. It’s strange to me and makes me feel pity for those who deem this a good idea. It’s kind of “5th grade” if you will, and I’m sure there isn’t one person who sees a friend request from “Jane and Joe Smith” and thinks “Aww...how sweet being all united via facebook.”

A-hem. Keep some independence people! You don’t have to be THAT close and do EVERY thing together. You need to keep some things separate. Have your own individual hobbies and your own personal life. Just because your spouse is friends with someone, doesn’t mean you have to be. I automatically assume this joint facebook page thing either has to do with a jealous partner, or some untrustworthy companionship. It’s embarrassing really.

It also poses confusion. What if I have an all girl party and want to invite the female and not the male? I’m sure they don’t share the same birthday, so does the page get flooded with Happy Birthday wishes for one of you and not the other? Maybe I want to tag a photo but you’re both not in it. (Or wait, they probably are magnetically attached at the hip). Maybe I want to send a request to play a game of scrabble, but which one am I really playing with? And are they double teaming? No fair! I want to send HER a message not HIM, but how do I do that? You get my point....

Listen, some things you just DO NOT share: razors, toothbrushes, q-tips, and facebook pages. Be yourself a little bit instead of blending completely with your partner. I’m certain that your work, bio, and interests can NOT possibly be the same and if they are, well that’s freaky and you need therapy. Do you really want people to think “Oh, looks like Mary got herself into a controlling relationship again, can’t even have her own facebook page...” or “Who did Mike cheat with now that she doesn’t trust him?”

Be yourself. Stand proud. Branch out. Buck up. Make your own damn page. ‘Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment