Saturday, January 18, 2014

Victimized by the impulse-buy....

Whole Foods. May as well be the gateway to heaven. Fresh organic produce galore and a sample on every corner. It’s a non-GMO whole food health-nut party up in there and everyone's invited. I must have tried over 10 items on the corners of aisles today! Blood oranges, fresh vegetables, tortilla chips, olives, dips, spreads, crackers, cereal, you name it! I was literally strolling the streets of heaven with my little cart (yes I got the small one), this high quality stuff is expensive and I didn’t want to “over-fill” on impulse buys. Besides I just came in for my french vanilla coconut milk creamer, veganaisse (best mayo on the planet hands down), and some apples.

So this is how my mind goes:

Kale? Organic? Spendy but the leaves look so perky and fresh! In the cart it goes.

Is that really the price for a pound of oranges? I sample some slices. They are delightful. I want more but don’t want to linger around and look like someone coming into the store to mooch food. Guess I’ll buy some- oh look they have brown paper sacks all ready for people to grab, ok I’ll take one. That bag is heavy, wonder how many pounds it really is?

You mean they now have a coconut almond chia seed milk?! Brilliant! Yes please. Oh what’s that? Two for $6? Does that mean one is $3 or it’s the regular price of $3.99? Hmmm..better just take 2.

Oh looky, organic tortilla chips, a mix of yellow and blue, the best of both worlds! I do need to get rid of that salsa at home. Tossed in the cart.

And so it goes. 20 steps in the door and I was switching out my small cart for a large cart. Screw it, I’m being healthy here! Treating my body like the temple that it is!

I was feeling happy and giddy about all the wonderful products I was surrounded by and felt a wave of glee when I put them in the cart. I would have started skipping but didn’t want to look like a loony tune. But seriously. Have you ever eaten fresh organic dates? Mmmm..it’s like a caramelicious treat of sticky honey love! YUM. Ok so I had to get out of there before I went broke. I proceeded towards the check-out lane....

But not before I stopped by this lady at a table giving shot samples of these organic bottled juices. They had all these cute names like GLOW and GREEN SUPREME and consisted of all things nutritious such as kale, carrots, ginger, lemons, chia, spinach, mango, etc...Different stuff in every bottle. Of course I had to approach. I tried this kale apple juice and it was honestly delicious. I tried another. Loved that too! I said I’d buy a few. She was overjoyed that I was going to buy some, which I thought a bit odd. “So you’re sure you’re going to buy some right?” Yes I said. Even more strange was that she insisted on taking a photo of me holding the bottles of juice so she could text her boss the image and prove she was selling some. Sure whatever. On cue, I hold up the bottles in the air and give the best perky eyed, mouth in an open jawed smile of surprise and glee. So I’m all like modeling in random poses with these juice bottles and she’s snapping away on her ipad mini. YaY for juice! In the cart they go. Three of them. Thank god the cashier was 5 steps away!

So as I’m in line to check out I happen to peer over my shoulder at the actual “case of juice” on the refrigerated shelves, not the little display in a basket that this girl had in front of her. Is that right? That price can’t be right. $10.99 a bottle of juice?! A 16 oz. bottle of juice TEN NINETY-NINE. No shit. I squinted and re-opened my little eyeballs and I shit you not, they were $10.99. WTF?! I had 3 in my cart and if I put them back she’d see me. I mean, the juice was good, but not THAT good. F%#k.

So what did I do? Yes I bought the damn juice. I bought TWO of them. I gave the other one to the cashier and said “Oh, you know, I didn’t realize there was turmeric in this and I’m allergic to turmuric, could you put it back for me?” *Truth be told, I am obsessed with turmeric and take it daily--it is like gold to me. Lies lies lies.

So I’m still kicking myself for spending that kind of money on juice, especially since it sells for half that price on their website. Lies lies lies!

Those oranges though? OMG. They were so damn good that I would have paid triple for them. So all in all I’m still happy I stumbled into Whole Foods today and can honestly say, when it comes to “good food” money isn’t an issue because being healthy is the richest feeling in the world ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment