Saturday, January 21, 2012

Celebrate Jan. 21st and go get your hug on!

Did you know that January 21st is National Hug Day? I know-- neither did I! Well since it IS a recognized day since 1986 I believe, I’m going to embrace the concept and blog about it.
HUGS--whether they involve a big warm bear like embrace or a 1/2 arm around shoulder endearing type of pat, we must recognize that as human beings we need this so called “affection” in our life. Be tender, appreciate the meaningful people that compliment your world and go give them a hug! In honor of this day I have derived a list of why hugs are a necessity in life and a positive way to improve our health and well-being. Here goes~

-Full body hugs stimulate the nervous system~ Full body hugs have been shown to increase nervous system stimulation. This has even been used as a form of physical therapy.

-Hugs have been shown to lower blood pressure and reduce stress.

-Hugging someone can speak volumes when there are no words. Human contact is the closest way to reach out to someone’s heart without having to speak.

-Each time we hug, we release oxytocin. This is the bonding and caring hormone that also releases itself while the uterus contracts during labor and allows the milk to flow through the breast.

-Everyone knows that without physical contact, infants fail to thrive. There was a story I read a while back where a set of twins were born and one of them had very poor health and their system was failing. A nurse decided to place the newborns into the same crib (against hospital rules) and see if this bond would improve things. Almost instantly the ill babies heart-rate stabilized and she began to breathe on her own without oxygen. Believe in the power of human contact!

-Hugging eases tension, feels good, does not upset the environment, and they’re free!

And now a few great quotes on HUGS-

“I will not play tug o' war. I'd rather play hug o' war. Where everyone hugs instead of tugs, Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rug, Where everyone kisses, and everyone grins, and everyone cuddles, and everyone wins.” ~ Shel Silverstein

“Millions and millions of years would still not give me half enough time to describe that tiny instant of all eternity when you put your arms around me and I put my arms around you.” ~Jacques Prévert

“I love hugging. I wish I was an octopus, so I could hug ten people at a time.” ~Drew Barrymore

“A kiss without a hug is like a flower without the fragrance.” ~Proverb

“Every time I think of you, it is like getting a hug from the inside out.” ~Author Unknown

Now that I’m all warm and fuzzy inside with all this hug talk I’m kind of in the mood to hug somebodies lights out. I think I’ll go on a hugging spree and grasp everyone and everything I can get my arms around and first on that list is ME.

Be kind. Be grateful. Be affectionate. Now go hug off.

No comments:

Post a Comment