Saturday, May 14, 2011

Morning wisdom from Mr. Lincoln


Although Abe Lincoln passed away well before our time, I believe his wisdom will shadow this earth for decades to come. While he only had 18 months of formal education, he taught himself the things he deemed important and let his inner brilliance emerge because of it. I particularly admire his strong knack for common sense.
He was the first president to grow a beard, the first president to believe that women had a right to vote, and he never let failure put a halt to what he knew to be right and just. I also think it’s interesting how he dreamt of his own death twice in the week leading up to it. His 56 years on this earth weren’t long enough and I really hope he is reincarnated someday as we really need some modern-day Abe Lincoln’s around this world.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from
honest Abe:

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.

It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.
My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing.

You may fool all the people some of the time: you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can't fool all of the people all the time.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.

My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment