Thursday, March 10, 2011

Patience: Is it a virtue?

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances." Thomas Jefferson (*I agree with this Mr. Jefferson)


I agree that people should not fly off the handle and explode with impatience (even though I do this at times! Hey, I'm not perfect), but there is a limit to the level of patience a person should have to try and attain, and under what conditions...

Is patience a virtue? At times yes, but mostly no, well, in my book that is..

I understand that some may see patience as a gift or some special ability that people should strive to have, but I see the overly patient type person as more of a curse than a blessing...

Being a person who seems to have been born without patience and does not see that changing, I cringe whenever I even think of the words “be patient.” UGH. I take pride in the fact that I get things done in a timely fashion, I am where I’ll be when I say I’ll be, and rarely has a person ever had to wait on me to complete something. I strive to stay two steps ahead of the game and am usually contemplating my next move before I have completed my last one, and this makes me totally comfortable and at ease (though at times, flawed). Because of the inner workings of my brain, I expect others to somehow think along these same lines, however we do not all have the same chemical make-up and must adjust to how those around us think. This can be a struggle.

It’s not so much waiting that irritates me, but more so, the inconsideration of actions and other people’s lack of common sense that may lead up to the need for me to struggle to be patient. For example, I’m at a red stop light. It turns green, yet the car in front of me does not move. Maybe they’re fiddling with the radio, enjoying the blue sky in the distance, or sending a text. I’ll give them 5 seconds, but after that I’m honking! A nice friendly little honk is how I see it, I’m “helping” keep things moving. I’m not going to just stare at the green light at a dead stop and think “now stay patient, they’ll see the green light soon here...”

Another example (and this happens A LOT)... We’ve all been in the line at the store where the person ahead of you is going suuuuuper sloooooow. It takes them 4 minutes to unload a 10 item cart and then the cashier has to comment on every item and suddenly these two strangers are chatting up the weather or talking about the kid they’re buying the sponge bob toothbrush for and “oh I really think Johnny will brush them better now..” la ti da...meanwhile I’m on a 5 minute time crunch to check out and have to hold my hands over my eyes to prevent them from bulging out of their sockets in complete shock. UGH! Patience is painful in times like these when people are being inconsiderate of a full line of people behind them! The lack of common sense makes my blood boil, and I’m sorry, but patience in an occurrence like this should not be expected.

I find that most people who claim to be patient usually don’t have as much motivation as us poor impatient spitfires. Sorry, but that’s just how I feel. I also do not believe that good things come to those who wait. Sit around and wait, but everyone else is out getting what you want and living life while you “wait” for things to fall into your lap and opportunity to knock your door down. I also find that those who claim to be procrastinators are somewhat sugar coating the fact that they’re slightly disorganized. And don't even get me started on people who are late...

You know the person that people say is “always late.” This is not a compliment people.

Ok, so there’s always 2 sides to all of my arguments! So when is patience good?

You must exude patience to complete the tasks necessary to get that college degree.

It’s imperative to be patient with your child while he struggles to get potty trained (also being patient with a new puppy who can’t remember to not pee on the carpet!)

Being patient when recovering through an injury to heal your body properly without attempting to rush therapy is the key to getting well again.

Be patient in love, never rush a relationship. Never rush an orgasm either :)

Baking requires a lot of patience and it also soothes my soul. I can be patient all day for that kind of delicious outcome!

Watching a sunset is beautiful, no one would rush that! The sun could take hours to rise and I’d have the patience to watch it (well if I had the time that is)

Offer to play scrabble with me and I will show you the patience of a god....

Patience can be a good thing in the proper circumstances, but it isn’t “always” a virtue.

OMG have I rambled on with this blog! I could go on all night, but even I'm getting bored here. For anyone who made it to the very end, you must be a very patient person. Bravo to you! :-)

*I just got really impatient proofreading this, so I apologize for any typos! Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment