Monday, September 5, 2011

Things I learned at Target....

Top 10 things I learned at Target today...

1.) Weird is the new normal. I looked around me and decided this today. Between the guy who had chain link suspenders and purple striped socks, to the chic who was riding her cart like a skateboard it has become quite evident that “weird” has now taken over.

2.) Don’t tell your mom that all your college roommates bailed on your apartment in the middle of the laundry aisle. Yes, a son told his mother that Kenny is living with his girlfriend and Brian is no longer going to college because he has no money. Mom lost it as she co-signed on the lease and already put the down payment down and now the kid has no roommates and can’t afford the apartment. I lingered by the dryer sheets just to get the whole story as I found it quite interesting. Once the curse words started coming, I was on my way.

3.) 5 yr. olds don’t care about nutrition. This came from a couple trying to determine what granola bars to buy for their 5 yr. old’s lunch box. Woman was reading labels trying to determine which has more nutrients and whole grains. The man then loudly pronounced to the woman (as if she was an idiot) “Good God she’s 5 years old, how in the hell is she going to know the difference! All she cares about is taste Jane. Get her chocolate ones!” I judged this man as clueless, and wondered if their poor child will be damaged and chubby from all that high fructose corn syrup. Yes, I read the label on the box they chose, just to see if it had it.

4.) Every college kid with roommates should buy their own food and put their name on it. I know this sounds silly, but I think it’s true. Less arguments will ensue. Three bubbly girls were shopping together (new roommates I’m guessing) debating over what kind of chips to buy, who likes popcorn,and OMG have you guys tried uncrustables? I later saw them at the checkout aisle and one girl assumed they’d split the bill 3 ways, while another girl thought she was just “coming along.” Then they said, “well like you’re not going to eat any of this when it’s in the house”, and “I’m not just splitting the cost 2 ways, that’s way too much money.” One girl only brought $15 cash. Then came the debate of charging it. I wanted to walk over and counsel them all, but instead took the moment to be thankful I’m done with college! GAAH! Buy your own food and eat your own food. Split pizza and that’s it!

5.) Watch where you’re going. Simple thing I learned by watching a guy take a step backwards while laughing at his friend in the junk food aisle. His heel got ran over by a cart passing by and I don’t think they were tears of laughter, although he used that as a cover up.

6.) Get your coupons out ahead of time. Nobody wants to wait in line for-e-ver because someone is digging through their purse for a coupon they swear they just had! Get your coupons out and put them in front of your items before they get to the scanner, cashiers love that. Besides do you really want to be the person that holds up a line for 20% off a box of cereal? I think not.

7.) Look in the mirror before you leave the house. Not to sound mean, but honestly people, unless you are going dumpster diving or are headed off to wrestle up pigs later, you should really clean it up a bit if you’re going out in public. The BO coming off of a guy in aisle B5 was enough for me to forgo getting hand soap today, because I wasn’t going near that section. One lady even said to her husband “Ugh, what a smell..” while passing by him. Also, please don’t wear a size 5 or you’re a size 9. Be kind to your thighs and let them breathe.

8.) DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT drive by the entrance of a store with the music cranked so loud that the guy 2 miles away has to shut his windows. Not only that but to be playing a rap song using words like pussy and sex are not fit to be blaring out open windows EVER, especially when children are around. Appalling!! I muttered idiot under my breathe, but one guy decided to just call him a jackass out loud and I liked him for it.

9.) Orange juice gives you zits. This overheard by a mom and some girls shopping together. Mom: “Do you girls want any apple juice? Orange juice?” Girl 1: “OMG no OJ totally causes acne. I hate that stuff.” Mom: “Oh it does not that’s ridiculous.” Girl 2: “No it really does, and gives me cold sores too.” Girl 1: “Ew. I wonder if Pauly drinks OJ cuz his skin is a mess. You should ask him.” Mom: “Ok, well do you want some kind of sodas then?” Girl 2: “I like Sunkist.” Girl 1: “That’s got oranges in it too.”
The conversation got so ridiculous after that, I had to walk away before I started laughing!

10.) The greatest lesson I learned today was from the cashier at Target, and my inspiration behind this particular blog. The kid looked like the red head from the Harry Potter movies, about 17 or so, he said “Until you can do what you love, you gotta love what you’re doing.” Isn’t that the truth? When he asked “how are you today?” and I responded with “Great, how are you?” He proceeded to tell me everything he thought within the 3 minute check out time. It was hysterical. He went on about how “Some people just show up and do their job and work for the money and go home, but I come to be the best I can at everything I do and try to imagine myself as working for free because I’m having such a great time doing what I’m doing. It makes every day a great one! See you get it (who me? he just met me!) you just approach life with a good attitude and know that good things will come.” How did he know that by looking at me? It was great though. He gets it.
Between his schooling me on life and me being a little shocked over his openness, he forgot to give me all my bags which I had to go back and get. So I guess that’s the 11th lesson. Make sure you have all your bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment